For BFRB Awareness Week (October 1st-7th), I wanted to highlight some of my awesome Trichster Sisters. First up is my very first "original" Trichster Sister, Kara. She is 10 years old and in 5th grade. I first met Kara at the 2018 TLC conference in San Francisco. We instantly became friends and developed such a close connection, that I started affectionately calling her my little "Trichster Sister." That's where the term originated. She is my inspiration! These are the pictures she wanted me to post. I interviewed her to share her perspective and here is what she said:
* How long have you had trichotillomania? What areas do you pull from?
Kara: About 5 years. Usually the sides of my head and sometimes the top. It hurts from the bottom. I don't eat my hair but I eat the root.
* What are some hard things about having trich?
K: I don't really like pulling and my hands get numb.
* What are some good things about having trich?
K: Meeting you! And everyone else at the trich conferences and all the fun times.
* What would you say to other kids who have trich?
K: It's okay, I have it too. You're not different, you're special in your own way.
* What do you wish people understood about trich?
K: I wish people understood how we feel when they say "Ew that's so gross" because that is SO disrespectful. And the way I dress, that I'm not a boy, duh!
* Do you do anything to raise awareness for trichotillomania?
K: I made a poster and I like listing things down about me and my trich and tell them what not to say.
* What are some things that you like about yourself? What makes you special?
K: I think that having so much energy is special and having trich is special about me because everyone isn't perfect, they're special in their own way. They have their differences and they have their "in common" stuff. I love singing. I like that I met you by having trich. My mom introduced you to me. I like that I'm nice, that I'm pretty, that I'm brave.
* Anything else you want to add?
K: I like cats and Beanie Boos and Taylor Swift. I like acting crazy because I have ADHD. I'm so happy that I met you.